Yellow Quill is a Saulteaux First Nation located approximately 300kms east of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and 12kms east of Rose Valley, Saskatchewan. Yellow Quill First Nation is a signatory of Treaty No. 4, which was signed by Chief Yellow-quill on August 24, 1876.
Yellow Quill is home to 2,800 registered band members of whom roughly 800 reside on-reserve with remaining membership dispersed mostly in the urban cities of Regina and Saskatoon and urban centres outside Saskatchewan.
The land base of Yellow Quill is composed primarily of four Reserves:
- 14,477 acres serve as the main Reserve, containing the community of Yellow Quill, Saskatchewan;
- 160 acres are associated with Yellow Quill Indian Reserve 90-8;
- 480 acres are associated with Yellow Quill Indian Reserve 90-18; and
- 92 acres are associated with Treaty Four Reserve Grounds (Indian Reserve 77), which is shared with 32 other First Nations
As of March 2011, over 16,000 acres of Treaty Land Entitlement (TLE) lands were converted to reserve status by Canada. The remaining equity acres available for Yellow Quill First Nation to purchase and convert to reserve status are an additional 100,000 acres as per the TLE Framework Agreement.
As of August 2014, the property of 240 4th Avenue South has been converted to to reserve status by Canada. This is the parking lot adjacent to the First Nations Bank Building, which is the future home of LEED® Design Class “A” Office.